View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Workshop with Mike Sigman on Ki in Aikido

Funny you should mention videos, Ian... I was just talking to someone about that very thing, in relation to the workshop. A lot of my motivation has been inspired by the challenge of trying to formulate a succinct, Aikido-oriented approach that gives everyone demonstrable skills that they didn't have when they walked in the door. The other part of the challenge is to do it in such a way that 2 months from now everyone won't be back to doing the same old normal-movement stuff in class. So I've got 3 things I'm going to do:

1. A clearly articulated how-to with results for everyone. No "train this for 3 years and it will come upon you like the Holy Ghost, my son."

2. A set of notes that include the syllabus and suggested daily and dojo practice regimens.

3. A video of some of the workshop aspects for attendees to use as reference.

In other words, I'm trying to get pretty extensive results, even if it's only a 2-day workshop, but I'm also trying to do everything *I* can do to make sure it sticks. I'm tired of feeling guilty about how everyone does great in workshops but they tend to have back-slid within a few months. This time I'm making sure that I don't feel the least amount of guilt.

Working on ki/kokyu skills is like going to heaven... everyone loudly proclaims that they want to do it. But not yet.

The short of it is that there ain't gonna be any spectacular vids to show on the web. Sorry.

FWIW

Mike

Last edited by Mike Sigman : 01-08-2008 at 08:12 AM.