View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
Shikko and variations

OK, let's clear it up before you think it. This is not a thread on wether Shikko (knee walking) should or shouldn't be practiced. Ok, having said that.

I was looking at an article online somewhere about teaching Aikido to kids, and in the article the person being interviewed was trying to express how important ukemi was for kids. He went on to list a number of ukemi techniques that they do every class as warmups (much more than us, we do rolls and that's about it for ukemi in our warmups). Among the extensive list were forward and backward shikko, with and without rolls. I wasn't aware that you could even do shikko backwards, I've never seen it done. I always hear people talk about how hard Shikko is to do, and I never had too much of a problem with it, but maybe that's because I'm not doing it backwards

Do you do a lot of Shikko in your dojo? And if so, do you do other variations with it, like rolls mixed in and backwards shikko? Just curious. If you'd like to let me know how to do it that would be great, too

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait