Thread: Rivalry in Dojo
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
gcsr
United_States
Rivalry in Dojo

Well , in all my years of begin in a dojo enviroment I've never come across anyone who actualy told me they were jealous of me but I finaly did. How it happened was I was told openly i would be testing for second brown apporaching my final kyu grade of brown , the group was neither happy or upset at the time everyone seemed happy so I thought. A week went by and one of the aikidoka was very withdrawn from me , me begin me I just continued on doing what i do TRAIN, I'm not the kinda person who dwells on advancement or testing or anything I just go and train I try to stay focused on what im doing and not on others. Well one day after practice the aikidoka confronted me to tell me how upset he was that he was passed over and why was he not chosen. I realy did not know what to say to him but I was sorry he felt that way. He did tell me he did think I was very good at what i do my techniques and training and he felt i deserved it and that i do but the time in and never miss a training day. Well i did try to confort him and told him, he and others were the reason i was begin given my second brown demo, i told him if it was not for him and the other "UKES/Students I would not be were I'm at in this stage of my journey, I went on to tell him Aikido is not a single man/woman sport but a group effort when we train, he seem to understand, I just need your thoughts if any of you have ever gone thru this and what did you do or say to make others feel as if they contributed to your sucess?