View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #24
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Dowel Rod ----> Jo?

Thank you Ellis. The post is old, the subject is timeless and existed before any of us and will outlive us.

http://cookdingskitchen.blogspot.com...r-martial.html

Cook Ding's Kitchen had a guest blogger who has lots of information on types of wood.

The length of the Jo seems to now be standardized. So, 6'8" or under four feet tall, the store sells you the same thing. True of other weapons too, a Bo is six feet long for someone way over six feet even though some okinawan karate masters were under closer to five feet tall which makes the weapon handling and coverage very different. Anyone know the dimensions for the jo as a police weapon in Japan? Does SMR have specific definitions of what is allowed to be called a jo?

The Jo I have that has lasted the longest was sold to me as red oak, but it is slightly shorter and slightly wider than what I see as standard now. I did try to by a dowel, the paste board didn't last long. A replacement shovel handle from Home Depot is very useful for makiwara practice. I have bought the $100 Purple Heart and it was kindling in minutes; never again.

Using O Sensei as an example, lots of evidence that he was comfortable with rifle and bayonet, or a swamp spear. I play with other objects like a broom or an unloaded shotgun.