View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Tony Sova
United_States
Re: Can a dualist find success in Aikido?

Greetings Jonathan,

Thank you for your response!

You said: "If you really believe this, then, being God, you already know the answer to your question."

Understanding the Content of O'Sensei's beliefs (I was quoting him) I would say that the quote does not imply that I am God quantitatively speaking, but, rather, more so a part of God qualitatively.

You said: "But it is not only these things. It is also beautiful, complex, delicately balanced, subtle, powerful, etc."

A clear understanding of evolutionary theory tells a different story, that nature is wasteful, inefficient, and imperfect. Hardly worthy of veneration from my perspective.

You said: "What is "the spirit" you're writing of? You say it is "light" and describe its characteristics, but you don't say, precisely, what it is."

Yes, I was deliberately trying to express my beliefs in generalizations without revealing their religious origins. I am a Gnostic, specifically a Nazorean of the Magussaean Gnosis originating within the ancient Aramaean-Chaldean mileau of the pre-Assyrian Empire. Spirit then is the immaterial aspect of humanity that is trapped in this material world and manifests itself as Consciousness. Light is but a symbol of this meta-physical concept.

You said: "Why don't you try it out and let us know how it goes?"

A good suggestion but to 'try it out' requires an investment or certain amount of 'faith' in its perspective value. It is unwise to marry someone without having gotten to know them first through the gradual cultivation of a relationship. Likewise I prefer to get to know Aikido through undertstanding its philosophy so as to determine whether it is worth taking it further.

I do not seek to engage in it for self-defense, though I am sure it has something to offer in this regard, but, rather, for its spiritual application within a physical context so as to enhance my approach to the grappling arts of which I engage in. It is O'Sensei's spiritual potency that has drawn me to its manifest expression in the form of Aikido.

Thank you for taking an interest in my post.

Sincerely,

- Tony

"When you call out the name of God, it echoes inside of you."

Last edited by Tony Sova : 04-19-2008 at 04:56 PM.