Thread: keep One Point
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: keep One Point

Hi Mary.
Didn't think it was confrontational and definitely it is aimed at sharing experiences. It is maybe challenging in as much as not much is discussed about single principles and how each individual found that one thing and benefits it led to.

My added bit about what erks me may come across as confrontational but nonetheless it is a valid point for I have never seen the five points of Aikido discussed or even mentioned by anyone apart from myself and don't see how you can discuss Tohei's way without so doing. Anyway I do say that's for a different thread therefor not this one.

Now me, I could quite enthusiastically talk on and on about what I found to do with the discipline of keeping one point, how I was taught it, the way we used it, effects it had compared to when not concentrating on it, the changes that happened the more and more I got able to keep it, right up to my current view on what it actually does. But once again that also could be considered confrontational or boasty which from my view is a shame for I would like to hear others views and how they used it and stages thereof and results etc.

So I chose to wait and see if others just got on and discussed or explained one point strictly from their own personal usage and results and methologies taught about it.

So no it's not confrontational but it is a bit real. It is a bit "o.k. if you have done Ki Aikido like you say then then share with us what exactly you were taught about one point, what exactly it is you did, what you found, effect it had bodily, mentally, spiritually or Ki wise, feelings etc." Rather than the usual vague commentary as to no one told us much about it or Tohei was good but the methology was lacking type comments. So it's to forget all that 'expertise' commentary and a chance to get real and share personal experience.

You never know I might find most were taught different to me even in the official Ki Federation, I may on the other hand be surprised by peoples personal experiences but it rules out "I trained with someone doing it and they couldn't blah, blah, blah, type experiences".

So as in the op it's about if you do or did it then what did you do?

Here's a starter: We were taught from day one you create it. You create a point, right at the point of centre or dantien just below the navel but you have to create it. So there, right at the beginning that starting point may be different to many. Only through sharing or hearing others will I know.

Then and along with that we were informed as to what to allow this creted point to do, it's function. Now as a beginner we don't ask and it doesn't even matter to us if this one point is the same as centre for all we are interested in is what does it do and how do we use it and what happens when we do.

So there's a starter. That's a beginning, an introduction to my first experience with this principle from the view of what we were told to do, to practice.

Now, along with that we were told to let the force or energy or even strength of the attackers hold, grip, to go to the one point. This we found somehow made the arms and wrists relax and not 'fight against' at thos connection points which was strange and kind of freeing to both the mind and body. Along with that we were told to give our own energy back from one point. So the beginnings of receiving and giving are born.

I found at the time it was hard to do as it took lots of concentration but magical when done as it wasn't what I was used to or the mind was used to either and definitely the mind and the body were both pleasantly surprised because it seemed almost opposite to what all previous martial arts had taught or even what I or any of my friends had done when play fighting or wrestling since kids.

So anyway as I said it's not to outdo anothers way or methology and in the same token it's not a promotion of Ki style Aikido. It's just sharing.

Peace.G.