View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #195
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Do We Need To Invent A New Training? Yes/No/Maybe/How?

Quote:
In peaceful transition no one gets hurt. By letting those who you consider 'wrong' be, by non resisting and moving on then that is also progress without the negativity.
I believe that we are trying to arrest a transition that is ongoing. In Graham's example, the people who "have it" are the "wrong" minority, I believe a small minority. And the majority is not leaving them alone. Not withstanding Mr. Hardin's communication style, I can probably drum up many personal and negative attacks on the likes of Dan and the Internal guys on this website alone.

I think we need to also come to understand that having our feelings hurt does not equate to negativity. In a previous post I stated that I believe some aikido people are not competent in aikido. That does not mean they are bad people, or that I would not be friends with them or even that they should quit training. It simply means that they do not possess and express the necessary skills to apply principles of aikido.

The problem is when the have nots begin drowning out the haves. This creates a diminishing equation that eventually damages the art beyond repair. As stewards of the art, I believe we all have a responsibility to protect the integrity of aikido.

The equation of harmony will always require a balanced outcome; here is no such thing as a "peaceful transition" or a "free lunch". The cost for many of us in this case is realizing and admitting we don't have it and finding a training method that will allow us to get it. But ego is not a problem in aikido, right?