View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
paw
*gets on soapbox for rant*
Quote:
If I'm tense or using strength I am telling uke what I am doing to them...or giving them feedback or a reference point.
Muscles either contract or don't. Strength is used in all aikido techniques, even if it's the minimal amount of strength necessary to move around on the mat, raise a limb, etc.... It might be better to use a different term... like "muscling" which would suggest using strength in an inefficient or inappropriate manner.
Quote:
Do you have any thoughts on why power is generated maximally by being soft?
It isn't. Power is work over time --- generated in this case by muscular contractions. It's possible to "force" a technique on someone smaller by using brute force with little thought to efficency, or appropriateness of technique .... which would be a coaching issue. It's possible to use relatively little strength by using the appropriate technique, at the appropriate time to get the desired result. Take the appropriate technique, executed at the appropriate time with great force (muscular effort) and you will generate maximum power.

Alternatively, you could ask a nationally or internationally ranked judo player to throw you as hard as possible, and then repeat the process with a larger, similarly ranked judo player.

*leaves soapbox and dons flame suit*

Regards,

Paul