View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #348
DH
United_States
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Folks,

One behavior that I keep noticing in threads like this is that the discussion starts to become very personal. By this, I don't mean that the points people are raising are not of personal importance for them, but, rather, that the posts become directed at the person behind the topic.

I'm fine with passion. I'm fine with disagreement. Being passionate and disagreeing, even vehemently, are welcome and even encouraged. Doing so in a manner that's directed towards disparaging a person's character, motivations, intent, and such are utterly unwelcome.

Direct your discussion towards discussing the post, not the person behind the posts. I have said this, time and time again, and I still stand by this simplest of rules that underlie civil discussions.

Choosing not to do so not only diminishes your argument but also lowers the level of discourse here on AikiWeb. So, please. PLEASE!

-- Jun
This is hard to do, but over the years I have continued to realize the wisdom in it. God knows I have failed this simple guideline in the past.

Of late, I open Aikiweb to see these highly personal comments made about me, and I have to take a breath from either laughing out loud, or being ticked off at the audacity of some people. In the end though, this simple guide does help to keep the discussion at a higher level-even when I am the one getting personally attacked.

Dan