Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #36
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Aiki in MMA

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
Hello,

Sorry I dont have time to read what you wrote. What is it exactly you teach? Is it the same aiki as Sagawa, Takeda, or Ueshiba? If Silva and other MMA fighters use it,then you must be able to define aiki and it must be teachable correct?
I don't see these days how you can operate at a high level and not have some notions of what we label as aiki. Even Silva.

However, I think it is accidental most likely with only the best rising to the top and getting lucky, or maybe they have a really good coach that sets the conditions for these things to occur. Can they replicate it to a high degree, can they teach, can the isolate?

How do they ensure that large groups of those that apply the lessons, guidance, and formula achieve the same skills...or is it implicitly learned, or accidental?

If you do learn it...then how valuable is it realitive to other aspects of ability such as speed, strength, athleticism, or technique...how about the concepts of OODA, and experience...you know being able to think five moves ahead?

I value and I have been impressed by all those I have encountered that do IS....and I think there is great merit in the training. Again, for me it has been about realitive value.

I have found in my own experience that what little I have has been helpful to me in my own daily life and on the mat.