View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #245
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Clarence wrote:

Quote:
???Judo went mainstream and became an Olympic event.
You're telling me UFC/MMA has gotten worse? Obviously you didn't follow the UFC from the beginning, which started out with black belts in various Karates and boxers and Judo got in the mix. The good boxers killed the karateka with knockout punches. Then UFC evolved when the kickboxers came along and ruled the Octagon; Then UFC evolved again when wrestlers came along and took the kickboxers to the ground and they didn't know
how to fight in the clinch, but the wrestlers didn't know how to finish a man off. Then came the Gracies with their BJJ. They ruled the Octagon for awhile, 'til kickboxers learned BJJ and that's what the UFC is evolved to now. I really doubt if any MA out there can beat MMA.Course the offer's always open and there's ALOT of money to be made to the one who can do it.
Imo, if Aikido is not a MA, it shouldn't be called one. If it is, then it should go ahead and be one.
Are you sure you have your UFC chronology correct. UFC 1 was won by Royce Gracie.

Which boxers are you referring to that did well. I can't recall anyone.

Early UFCs demonstrated that grappling was an essential skill that was needed.

Once that was established, then you had some decent stand up guys come into the mix that learned enough grappling to play the game and do ground and pound.

No pure martial artist has ever really done well. It proved that you need to develop a well rounded strategy in order to be sucessful. That said, grapplers have tended to dominate such venues as the UFC.

Quote:
if Aikido is not a MA, it shouldn't be called one. If it is, then it should go ahead and be one.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? I am not sure I understand what exactly you mean.

Quote:
I dont't know about all that "hippy" stuff, but I believe I can embrace Budo and show my respect to the Founder in my own American way and go on about my training. I do want to compete, to see if my technique is viable or not and improve it.
I agree with this. I think it is natural and a normal part of development to train this way.