View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 03:51 AM   #1
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia
Criteria for Dan evaluation

Giving the amount of videos that popped up lately on Youtube about people who wish to "dissilusion" or "take Aikido back", while inherently many of them being lousy representatives of Aikido themselves, it begs a logic question. Who the hell gives these people their Dan grades? I mean by which criteria does an Aikidoka get up to a 4. Dan black belt while still looking like a 4th or 3rd Kyu or at best a second kyu? Are the grades just for the outer form, instructor/student relations or what exactly and how does this actually happen? I mean some badass Japanese instructor teaches and grades a badass western instructor and yet many of the students of that badass western instructor turn out to be ousy examples of not just Aikido but in general of martial principles. They say "the knowledge gets distorted", but what actually causes it? Money chasing, rank chasing, politics a combination of all? I mean I just can't get my heard around the fact that somebody would give undeserved credentials to somebody, on an official level, and that way give them false confidence about their abilities and in general cause damage to the community of the martial art in question.