View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #24
Tenor_Jon
Dojo: FSU aikido club (??)
United_States
Re: Choice of Bokken

hmm...
Well I don't have an iwama style bokken, but my friend does (the blunted tip, less curve, and no discernable designed mark between blade and hilt). Let's see...it is quite heavy (well heavier than what I have), and since it doesn't have the shape of the sword that much, I would think that might hinder martial practice with the real thing. But at least if someone discerns the difference between bokken and real swords, then it's A ok. Also, the end goal of one's bokken training is important to consider, is it to truly learn martial training with a sword as it was historically done (something I want to pursue, though probably can't afford any time soon)? Or to only help one's aikido with building distance, perception, and timing skills through weapon's training (training with sword to help with tai jutsu, instead of training with sword to be better with sword, though since real swords are rarely used as weapons in modern times, this approach is probably a better idea)? Or is it a "ki building" exercise? Hmm...
Anyways, I have like a cheap bokken (which is dented and chipped all over the place and will probably break if used in any more serious full contact sparring, or being deflected by me friends "club" of a bokken), and I also have this "hybrid" bokken made of hickory (And with walnut sandwhiched handle), which is more shaped like a katana blade, but the hilt is all screwy (it wasn't really made as a bokken anyways, but I just had to have one )
Oh yeah, I have a question: how are the weights and balance of bokken (or is bokuto the plural or just another name for bokken?) comparable to real authentic katanas, or at least decent modern replicas?
are the heavier iwama ones more akin to a real sword's balance, or too heavy? And also, japanese swords, how much effort is done in blademaking to balance the blade with the tang? (is blade heavy ok or is something done to counterweight the blade?) I mean medieval (and early renaissance) european swords focus a little more on thrusting (well being a straight blade and often tapered to a point this is pretty common sense even at first glance), so smiths added weight to the hilt (large or complex hilt guards, and pommels) to put the point of balance closer to the hilt (ideal in a thrusting weapon). But with a katana, which is a cut and thrust weapon with some emphasis (perhaps too much emphasis, but it is a devastating cutting weapon nonetheless)on the cut, how does that (blademaking process)work?