View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 06:21 AM   #12
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Choice of Bokken

Recently bought an iwama style bokken to give it a go - I worry about people damaging each other's eyes. However what I don't like too much about it, is that you don't feel that it cuts through the air since it is more like a stick than a blade shape - you don't get the feel of really turning the blade.

I've tried types, and I'd agree that using too heavier bokken is not good for practise, it is just good for exercise - especially since I got tennis elbow (!) Also, I used to like the thicker handles, but now I actually quite like a standard handle in which you can feel the turn of a blade.

With partner practise heavier bokkens are great for 'beating' the opponents blade out the way with a vertical cut (more momentum in the dropping motion), but it can take away from the necessity to control your blade with your centre. Also lighter blades are faster (which encourage faster leg work). I tend to think now that you have to go for the middle of the road unless you are purposely trying to develop either strength (heavier) or speed (lighter). So after a long journey, I pretty much ended up where I started - a pretty average bokken (although it's in hickory now)!

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---