View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #25
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Aikido against strong people...

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
I have always wanted different tapping out methods that mean different things. I'd like taps that mean:

1. Yes, perfect, oh holy crap, please stop now. Wow, how did you do that?

2. That just hurts, but you dont have my balance and I can counter you. We should stop and try again.

3. I can tell you're working really hard, but you are so far off base that this is really not going to end with anything but your overconfidence and my frustration, and maybe a torn gi.

4. Your pin sucks, but you are blissfully unaware that you are kneeling on the edge of my breast. Please stop 10 seconds ago.
We use words for those things in my dojo. Sometimes far too many words when just a few will suffice. But all the same if it is actually needful to tell someone to move their left foot two inches to the left, or to stop cranking on a joint we just tell them. Most of the time I find that beginners can really cause me more than passing discomfort if I am being a proactive partner. But that is speaking as a person who can outmuscle most of the people I train with. I usually will put up with a certain amount of pain to let someone find things on their own, as long as I don't feel like I am actually in danger of being injured.