View Single Post
Old 01-29-2002, 12:56 PM   #7
Jacques
Dojo: Masagatsu Aikido Dojo Springs
Quote:
Originally posted by Arianah

Essentially, when you are training, you are being handed the ability to cause harm. This is like having a weapon. Having a gun can help give you the upper hand in a fight; training can also do this.

Hi Arianah,

I agree with above statement. When we are training whether it is in karate, aikido, tae kwon do, etc. our instructors give us the knowledge of how to protect ourselves.

However, in all the Martial arts that I have been practising in (Karate and aikido), a lot of control is used during the execution of a technique. None of us wants to hurt our training partners so we control the techniques.

When it comes to live or death situations where we have to defend ourselves, I think very few of us really knows what kind of damage we can do to our assailant.

I have never been in an actual situation where I needed to defend myself and I do not no whether I will be able to defend myself or be beaten up. I think our instinct to survive will take over in such a situation and we will react purely on instinct and reflexes.

In a situation as described in the article, it would have been better to walk away from the confrontation. This was not a live and death situation and I think that martial artists and the Law must be able to differentiate between these situations.

I will do everything in my power not to be drawn into a fight, but when my live is on the line, I will defend myself with everything I have and that includes my martial arts knowledge.

aikido greetings
jacques

Masakatsu Agatsu