Thread: Confused...
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
Jordan Steele
Confused...

I have been practicing Aikido for quite some time now along with various other martial arts and have learned many great and fun techniques, but only a few of them work outside of the dojo. I am not a fighter by the way. I'm referring to friendly sparring with friends every now and then. I finally came up with the correct question. In Aikido, are we learning techniques or are we actually learning to move? When my friends and I go at it, I can easily avoid anything they send my way, but I cannot perform a throw with any grace. If I decide to just throw him, it usually resembles a strong leg sweep or a powerful hip throw. Also, I have noticed that Aikido is just as effective offensively as it is defensively. It's more sneaky though. Just move towards your opponent and flash a hand across his face to spark a reaction and ikkyo is always there. Your thoughts? Last thing, as a practitioner or Karate and Wing Chun, don't underestimate any type of kick. A well trained person will land a round house kick to your temple before your brain even sends a signal to your muscles.