View Single Post
Old 08-04-2001, 10:08 PM   #6
TheProdigy
Dojo: Aikido Kokikai Delaware
What place do the "spiritual" aspects of Aikido hold for you?

For me, Aikido has enabled me to find my spiritual side. Nowadays, I am very spiritual. I also believe that the highest levels of aikido cannot be obtained without spirituality, like in the book Zen in the Art of Archery. However, spirituality and religion are 2 distinct things in my eyes as well. Spirituality is more about knowing yourself, and bringing yourself into harmony, while Religion involves a diety of some sort.

What place do the "spiritual" aspects hold in your dojo?

My sensei has talked about losing the ego, and stressed one point, but outside of that there isn't much spiritual within the dojo. Perhaps the breathing exercises and learning to become alert of everything around you could be considered along those lines, but that's the extent of it.

Are you comfortable or uncomfortable discussing these?

Very comfortable.

Lastly, which principle from Aikido has meant the most for you in your life?

The dojo library made the greatest effect on me, but at this point relaxation has had the greatest impact. Recently, with a sprained ankle, I discovered so much that was tense, that I had not realized despite being laid-back. I've relaxed to the point now that I've noticed my breathing is a bit rough... shocked me really. In time, I believe that one point will have the greatest effect.

Great topic to discuss,
-Jase

Jason Hobbs
"As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life."