View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #24
roosvelt
Canada
Re: Trouble with Iriminagi

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote:
(1) Holding uke - I notice that some styles tend to grab the collar... I was wondering whether anyone has done a comparison between grabbing the collar and holding the attacker somewhere near the head (as above)... I'll be trying this myself, but it'll be a while before I can make conclusions...
Why worry about this? Just do whatever your Sensei showed you. Don't grab collar. It misses the point of this excercise. If you really want effective, why don't you further and grab hair or ear?

Quote:
(2) Pulling uke's head onto the shoulder - this is also favored by some styles, while others don't pull the head so close... again, I will be trying this myself in the weeks ahead... but I'm curious what everyone thinks about pulling the head...
Again do whatever your Sensei showed you.

For people use muscle power, shoulder is stronger than arms. For Ki, people, it's just send ki to shoulder, upper arm or forearm. Just defferent excercise.

Quote:
(3) Cutting down on uke's hand... I always thought (probably mistakenly) that we should blend in with uke's downward cut and "add to it" by cutting down ourselves... but I just read somewhere that we should NOT add to the cut but just extend uke's arm forwards... otherwise there is a tendency to cut uke's arm to ourselves... causing him to swing inwards towards you... sounds logical, but I wonder what everyone thinks...
Don't know if the explaination is correct. I also don't like the word "cutting down". Blend is a more like it. I don't think it means to match speed with the uke's arm, it's more like to find uke's centre and blend/connect your centre to it, then redirect.

I'm not good at this either. I don't have much chance to practice either because my partner always cut down too fast for my ability to handle. I just do it at end of their cut. Sometimes, it takes a longer than they like.