View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #42
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Akuzawa Sensei Seminar in the DC Area/Aunkai

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
To a degree I have to operate a little on faith and patience to see if it does. Two weekend seminars certainly don't give me enough experience to make a fully qualified judgement in this area, so all I can do is say I think the investment will be worth the time, even if I might look critically at how the puzzle pieces might come together.

My point with the cardio analogy was probably not a good one. I am too tired tonight to try and dig myself out of that one.
I suppose what I'd say is that cardio seems to obviously give me a stamina advantage. Using jin gives me an obvious positional advantage without moving and gives me power without needing a lot of muscle. And so on. How someone uses those things and what martial system (and remember, all Asian systems that have lasted for thousands of years use these things, even though most westerners haven't really grasped this until very recently) of techniques and strategies and all sorts of other factors mean very little to me... I know an obvious advantage in physical factors when I see it without having to do a years-long study, prove it at all weight classes, and so on.

Again, as I said, Asians, with their *average* of six IQ points higher than us western-derivatives, thought it was a clever system for thousands of years before the UFC came along. And frankly, as fashionable as MMA is, it's still a sport with rules. Take a look at why they developed Pigua, Eagle Claw, etc., sometime, and realize that MMA-type combat is just a trend whose advantages and disadvantages were considered long, long ago in the grand scheme of things.

Best.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Sigman : 06-04-2008 at 09:58 PM.