Thread: Training
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
"Not Telling!"
IP Hash: d3d14182
Anonymous User
Unhappy Training

I'm having a bit of a hard time training with one of my aikicolleagues.

We are the same grade (pick a kyu!) and have been training for the same period of time but somehow i pick things up faster than he can and have thrown myself heart and soul into aiki. Whilst i'd like to think that we are equals on the mat, if i am honest i'd have to say that i was "better". I think because of this he assumes that i don't need the same amount of practice as he does. In practice this presents itself as me being uke for him more or less the whole training slot. I don't mind taking ukemi for him as it is good training none the less, but i need to practice as nage just as much as he does.
It's getting really frustrating, which i know is one of my short-comings as a person, i try to give him pointers here and there (the wise and powerful aikidoka that i am ) but things don't stick and he constantly makes the same mistakes over and over again. Then, after his 10th or so go, i'll get a turn! But only once or twice as i can usually manage to do something like it is supposed to be! And even if i don't i won't give up the technique 3/4 of the way from finish!! Then it's back to him. It's getting to the stage when i want just to fall over and say "yeah that was good" rather than the usual kind of resistance we push each other with to learn good technique.

A bit of a rant I know, but airing these things is a bit of a therapy and i certainly don't want to bitch about him in the locker room after training.

Have any of you had similar experiences?

What i thought might be a possible solution would be simply to "formalise" our training e.g. two goes on left, on right then swap over. That way i think we'll use the time a bit better too!

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

In aiki

Mr. Tooscaredtousemyname