Thread: Aikijujutsu
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #99
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: Aikijujutsu

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Maybe if he were attempting a really realistic, competently executed attack instead of the infamous 'really commited attack' .... who knows?
Well, here's where I'll ask you to indulge me by letting yourself assume, even if just for a moment, that I am capable of making a really realistic, competently executed attack.

When I first started training in an internal-based system, I had already been training in karate, boxing and TKD ("old" TKD that was really karate...) for over 20 years, and also had some training in a couple of "external" Chinese systems and a bit of arnis. I had made a very focused study of punching, both for power and tactical/strategic fighting use. I was... pretty good at it... to the point that when I showed up for co-ed sparring class at my karate school, the instructor would make me wear these ridiculous-looking 18-ounce gloves.

So. Here is what happened to me when I asked the AJJ/internals guy if I could throw "a few punches" and he said, "Go ahead"... and I launched a very aggressive punching attack:

1. I couldn't land a punch on him. He made what seemed to be tiny movements just absorbed all the power and force from my punches. I felt like I had... nuthin'. Nada. No habia ningun poder o fuerza.

2. When he chose to, instead of just absorbing my force, he returned it, along with his own force which he was generating internally. It felt like I was punching a stone wall wrapped rubber.

3. He added a little more power to #2, and my arm was "frozen" in place - I was not able to retract it - and I was bounced backward without being able to figure out how it happened.

In the subsequent years of training, I learned more variations on that theme. including what happens when you work certain angles that lock the alignment of the wrist, elbow, shoulder, and hips seemingly instantaneously with uke's punch. So, not only can it be excruciatingly painful; it also instantly captures uke's center (kuzushi), and puts him in an unaligned and compromised position that does not allow him to launch another attack, even if he still has the will to do so.

That's why I give credibility to the person who is uke in that video. It is possible, certainly, that he anticipates what is going to happen to him and so is reluctant to make a committed attack. That, however, is entirely understandable to me, having been there and done that. I see the familiar cues in both nage's and uke's bodies that tell me what they are doing, and what is driving the movement.

Demetrio, I have always been a skeptic, but it wasn't until I sought out and got my hands on this kind of training that I had enough information to determine that it's legitimate. If I hadn't, I would have had the same reaction, and made the same comments that you are making. I'm pretty sure I understand, then, where you're coming from and I'm glad you're not just buying this without more data. I hope you have the opportunity to get that exposure someday.