Thread: Relaxing
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #28
Janet Rosen

Re: Relaxing

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
On another aspect - research into human learning has shown that paying attention to the end-point of the movement causes the muscles to do "the right thing" - so - focusing on pointing at something a long way off will have the arm muscles do the right thing, while merely holding your hand up without "intent" will cause your shoulder to tire. Same muscles, different activation.
Walter, I found this interesting and would like to know if, in the research you mention, it really is the same muscles or if it is different muscles being used to achieve the same effect. The reason I ask is that after being introduced to Pilates I started using their "go down to go up" principle in order to raise my arms for shomen block or raising a sword. The sense I have, besides having very different intent (it feels like the pointing OUT THERE that George describes) is that I'm activating the lats and other non-shoulder/arm muscles and the arm is simply being allowed to rise almost like a counter-balance, very relaxed in a sense but with extension.
Drat I have to go offline for a couple of days...look forward to your reply...

Last edited by akiy : 03-16-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Fixed quoting

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield