View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #22
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Taking care of your Hakama with heavy use?

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
saw a guy (wasn't me, wish it was), at a seminar, wearing just zebra thong under the hakama. i saw through the side vents, since his gi jacket wasn't long enough. it was rather disturbing, since i wasn't the one who thought of that. bastard beat me to it!
Phi, that was a mirror... Pay attention.

I sweat a lot. Frankly I was really happy there was this other guy training with us for a few years that sweat more than me. Unfortunately he moved away, but he still comes by to train so I'm not the only one leaving sweat streaks on the mat. As a result I tend to hang my hakama after every practice. And I wash it on gentle now and again, especially if it's been hot. But then again I also wash my belt now and again which some folk find sacrilegious.

And I've trained with folk who wear nothin' but undies under their hakama. I'll sometimes wear simple workout shorts under mine on hot days (see above -- I sweat a lot so having extra layers isn't exactly a joy for me). Wear what you need to satisfy your own modesty and hygiene requirements. And frankly I don't get why some sensei worry about what someone is wearing *under* their training gear as long as you're not flashing locally/culturally inappropriate body parts at your training partners.