View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Re: The Topic I never Wanted To Post

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
So.. At my school I have learned lots from my Shihan and Aikido. Self Confidence is the big one. My social skills have improved alot as well. I also have broken bad habits I used to do that invalid going out lots to bars.
Aikido has improved you to some degree, but the improvement never ends.

Quote:
While the problem lies here in... I always wanted to start my own school since I started.. I know it is still 8 - 10 years down the road... This is fine, but the other day I trained with a professional fighter. I did not expect to win sparing, and your right.. I lost..
"Lost"? What did you lose? It sounds like learning to me.

Quote:
But then I tried with people who were not even in martial arts, and more then often enough I am still getting my ars handed to me.
So you're in the process of learning how stupid fighting can be? Ever seen anyone injured? Badly?

Quote:
This greatly upsets me.. I cannot run a school to teach self defense and confidence if I have not faith my own abilities. :-(
You probably shouldn't do it without some humillity either.

Quote:
I look at the black belts in my school, and they are able to do all this stuff awesome, however at brown belt I am still missing it.
There are things that you're getting that they are missing. It's just not readily apparent.

Quote:
In relation to this, if I work with new students who co-oporate they look at my technique with awe, and seem impressed. However after training with a few now Aikido people I am finding that people outside don't co-oporate. Even people who are in class that are really stiff make the technique very difficult. I tried to teach one friend ikkyo and he was even stiff as hell and I had trouble with it.. Tried everything to make it work, in the end I resorted to atemi for it to work.
What happens when you resist technique?
Quote:

Infact the only way I can make Aikido work for me at all anymore is by adding Atemi. :-( The lost of confidence in my abilities has gotten so bad now that even when doing my technique with others I have to add atemi. It is like a crutch I have to use. I know my teacher has taught atemi many times, but I know alot of the time we havent used it as well. WHY CAN'T I GET IT WITHOUT ATEMI!
Sometimes, you can't. Fish around in your toolbox and see what else you have.

Quote:
I also want to add that I try real hard to obsorbe it, and practise all the time. I focus on every detail, sometimes too hard to the point I lose it.. And I will be honest I am A.D.D, so it is sometimes hard. Honestly I don't know if this is why other people have it by now and I do not. But I honestly feel I am missing everything. I am frustrated and after 8 years I am ready to move to something else.

Unless.............. Unless there is some sort of explanation for this, or some sort of reason that someone can bring to my attention of why I am not getting it. Please tell me there is something to get, because I know my seniors have found it, and even some of my juniors... Just not me. :-(
No matter how good you get, this will continue to happen. True Victory Is Self Victory. Look at that person who's looking back at you from the mirror. Are they better than they were yesterday? That's what matters.

Quote:
Any idea on whats going on?
What's going on for you may be entirely different from what's going on for me. Just know that EVERYONE has something going on. Those classmates that seem to be so together have problems of their own, believe me.

Quote:
Anyone else been here before?
HAHAHAHAHAHA!! HECK YEAH!!

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida