View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #350
DH
United_States
Re: "The goal is not to throw"

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Hi Dan -
I don't agree with your assertion that without #1 the objective of #2 cannot be achieved. I have trained this way for a long time and am far stronger now than when I began, as are the students who regularly train with me.
Well I know that. But were you that you are happy with who is growing stronger training the way you do now ...
To meet the you that you could be, by training with the same soft power (with more advanced internal/ aiki components in place that are ONLY attained from different and more stressful training) The later you would prevent the other you from doing much of anything at all.
As one 20 yr Bagua guy said. "I didn't know, that I didn't know."
There is more to aiki...do, than most in Aikido™ are doing or will ever find. I sometimes feel like I am arguing that the earth is round. But hey...if everyone's happy who cares, right?

Quote:
Well I have never talked about "true capability" since I'm not sure of the context in which you're using that phrase. As far as self defense is concerned, Aikido is but one small component in an overall strategy of self protection. And I don't mind having our video clips picked apart. I didn't post them to prove a point, they're just examples of some of the stuff we do.
Well, I haven't picked them apart. I have only used them and Grahams to highlight cooperative training.

Quote:
#1 - My type of training is no more likely to produce a good cage fighter than a basket weaving class will produce a good brain surgeon.....
You misunderstand my objectives. You keep weaving the fighting paradigm into the discussion when you know full well that fighting is not part of my training regimen. When I speak of my strength and power it's always in relation to what it once was compared to now. My strength continues to grow, even as my technique grows softer and more subtle, as I age and practice. I recognize it, my training partners recognize it as I do the changes in them.
Now it may happen that should I ever meet that guy we'll sit down to dinner and a drink together, have a nice chat and part friends.
All the best to you,
Ron
Well, that guy I was reffering to would be the proverbial fighter or bad guy, not a budo-ka interested in a Chai latte... (Which I love)
I think I am quite clear in differentiating your practice from discussions of fighting and or real stress. I think you and Graham are the ones who step in it by stating your practice can deliver and Grahams love breaks jo and is powerfully effective. You guys say it...not me. Leave that aspect out and most everyone here is not going to care what you do. God bless and have fun. For the record, I am far from the only one who challenges you guys on that aspect.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 01-30-2012 at 10:48 AM.