View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #104
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Atemi waza: good or bad for Aikido?

Hello larry

I am really puzzled by you statement about you not using atemi.
Since the beginning of this thread people have said that you could use atemi
To hit him
To make him move
Or to prevent him to go somewhere

In http://www.aceaikido.com/IndyBackfist.mov

You plainly clearly use atemi to finish your partner off.
The offer on the table for him is I let my head go to where I am taken of balance or I take the strike that is coming.
You will surely argue that you never had the intent to strike him, hence it is not an atemi, but that his beside the point, and he reacted as if you were. And that is the point of using atemi.

Ultimately even if you never ever going to hit someone with an atemi, the "fear" of the atemi for lack of a better word, was what you used. From our younger age, we know that atemi hurts so we have learned that it is better not to be there even if we never have been hit. For example, I have never ever be kicked buy horse, but I have seen it, and that is precisely why I take corrective action when I pass behind a horse.

We can argue until someone can demonstrate that there is only one straight line between two points that actually smashing his head in is part of aikido, but that is another debate.

Phil

PS For the record I think that was martially sound, regardless the precived intent of uke (we need to bear in mind that video tends to slow thing down)
He attack out of distance/out of his space, so you where able to slip his attack which gave you a timing advantage.
As you drive/guide his am to the third point, you protect you movement of the fighting lie and with you right arms movement (whether we call it atemi or not) you deprive of him of mounting a counterattack.

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.