View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #37
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Multiple attackers, using their idea of what is happening against them

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Well, in all fairness, I can see where the below statement could be construed to represent an external movement to avoid contact to someone not familiar with the internal concepts and principles of Ueshiba's Aiki. However, if looked at from the internal perspective, the statement also supports the IP/IS concepts - as in, slightly move internally to set up dual opposing spiral in you so on contact the aggressor's attack is sent off in a tangent thus avoiding the attack and the attacker can go his own way, or you can help him along; your choice

I wanted to look more at the source of that statement for proper context, but there was no proper reference provided by the poster other than is was part of an interview you quoted; which were many from what I could see.

Greg
Would it be helpful if people started making a distinction between external and internal aiki? I get the feeling some might say there is no such thing as external aiki, and if that's the case, maybe for the sake of discussion it's time we invented it.
Might we look at David's quote as applying in different ways depending on the individual's ability? Many students will probably reflect a more external expression of move out of the way and let aite go where he wants than someone with a strong internal development (something which has been described as very hard to develop to a significant degree). I don't get the impression O Sensei thought everyone ought learn the internal perspective I assume he had, so, based on that at least, I don't see it as "bad" where people don't.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 12-24-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Gambarimashyo!