View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #34
Richard Stevens
United_States
Re: How does Aikido compare to Aiki-Jujutsu?

I was supposed to grade for nidan in September, but I haven't been able to train as regularly the past couple of months due to grad school and teaching a course so I'm putting it off until next year. I've never been in much of a rush to grade. Good luck with your exam. One word of advice: slow down. Give yourself some time between techniques to gather yourself.

I've recently felt like referring to what we do as Aikijujutsu was inaccurate. Working with a high-level Daitoryu practitioner this past weekend confirmed that. It is "mechanical" Jujutsu. Yes, it is complex and we incorporate concepts of kuzushi, etc., but I don't feel like there is "aiki" like you see in Daitoryu. I concede that I haven't trained with Irie-Sensei, but from what I gather from those who have is that he has really polished, excellent Jujutsu. I'm not sure he would argue with that considering he named his art KoKoDo Jujutsu. Okuyama named his art Hakkoryu Jujutsu for the same reason, I would assume. If he would have received higher level instruction in Daitoryu that may have changed things.