View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #194
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: Open Letter to My Students

My experience is time-limited as far as teaching is concerned and being part of dojos, but a few people kept in touch. One practices around three days a week, at her present dojo where she has attended for over ten years. Around two years in this area, fourth kyu and now going for nidan, maybe later this year, maybe next.

Many changes happened in my own life, so I wasn't able to keep up with everyone after the main class ended August 1983. Another student ended up assisting a first kyu in founding a dojo with someone from the midwest she met through a notice on a bulletin board at work in the state she moved here in the northeast.

Both were fourth kyu when they left here, neither had met the other, and both re started in their new locations after quite a few years.

I guess my point is, cast a wide net, we can't always know in advance who will be dedicated in future, who will persist. It seems like in the koryu you must make a committment. Many of us rather than making a formal commitment, just assumed that we would be training in some form or other for our whole lives. In my case, I learned from former students that we who have stopped may yet return ....