View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #28
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: philosophical or practical martial art?

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
(or, I guess we're not allowed to use that word if we're not sufficiently intentional, so let's just call it "starts taking martial arts classes", will that do?)

It is hard to find the right words sometimes, sorry for that. I am afraid you have read something I am not trying to say. Perhaps I have stated things a bit black/white.

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
People typically go in looking for something or with some idea of what might happen, but hopefully with a mind that is open to discovering new things and changing their reason for being there.
But if you approach each exercise during practise with this mindset I would say that you are indeed practising/learning Aikido! So I completely agree with you on this.

Regarding the 'fun' part: first of all practise with a smile on your face. Aikido is fun. What I meant to say is that when you practise just for the fun of it (no deeper interest in Aikido) you are not likely to advance.

However, I do believe that when you want to advance (get better? improve?) you must know what to work on and do not leave that to chance.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl