View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #123
DH
United_States
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Thought it mught prove interesting
Is Osensei really the father of modern Aikido?

full article here
http://www.aikidojournal.com/?id=3057

...... I want to make my point perfectly clear. What I mean to say is that Morihei Ueshiba was NOT the main figure at the Hombu Dojo who taught on a day-to-day basis. O-Sensei was there at unpredictible intervals and often his instruction centered on philosophical subjects. Tohei and Kisshomaru Ueshiba are the persons most responsible for the technical content and development of aikido within the Aikikai Hombu system. As before the war, the uchideshi of later years would teach outside the Hombu Dojo in clubs and universities after only a relatively short period of apprenticeship. Also, this period was characterized by "dan inflation," many of these young teachers being promoted at the rate of one dan per year. In a number of cases, they also "skipped" ranks. But that is the subject of another article!

What does all of this mean? It means that the common view of the spread of aikido following the war taking place under the direct tutelage of the founder is fundamentally in error. Tohei and the present Doshu deserve the lion's share of the credit, not the founder. It means further that O-Sensei Morihei Ueshiba was not seriously involved in the instruction or administration of aikido in the postwar years. He was already long retired and very focused on his personal training, spiritual development, travel and social activities. Also, it should be noted that, despite his stereotyped image as a gentle, kind old man, O-Sensei was also the possessor of piercing eyes and a heroic temper. His presence was not always sought at the Hombu Dojo due to his critical comments and frequent outbursts....

A sharp guy might be drawn down several divergent paths just from these two paragraphs alone.

As Mike and I have said many. many times.
Who is doing Kissomaru's Waza
Why did Tohei leave?
Who is -really- doing Ueshiba's Aikido?
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 03-18-2007 at 04:32 PM.