Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: O'Sensei's Videos

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Hi Jen, just a couple quick questions.

I've heard that the Japanese defination of "nature" might be a little different from how someone raised in the west might view it. Do you have any thoughts along those lines? What might Ueshiba have meant by nature that might be different from how we view the use of that word in translation? Perhaps one of the people more familiar with Japanese thought (especially at Ueshiba's time) might chime in here.

He did? Are there particular translated statements of Ueshiba that you are thinking about here? If so, could you post the ones that you think illustrate this?

Best,
Ron
Well, translations are made by people and therefore subject to every little possible way you can parse it.

I know my teacher is Japanese and he talks of nature like I do. Like that which surrounds you,sustains you, grows, breathes, cycles, dirt,trees, air, mountains, ocean, that which moves through you, that which you move through...'Big Nature' he calls it.

My relationship to nature has evolved to feel it as a constant abiding entity in itself. I spose I could paraphrase this by saying It is alive and not an object. I feel it as 'The great parent'. I think the Doka of the day has some reference here. The direct relationship in teaching that he makes to nature is helpful. He uses ripe metaphor combined with solid exercises and that leads the mind to connection of the two.I can suggest you train with Anno Sensei given the opportunity and he can answer this question for you through his example. Nature is on the top of our aikido heirarchy, not a person or a fight. That is how we think of it. Or at least, how I do and how I believe I have been taught.
Thanks.
I'll try to ferret out some quotes that will be helpful in grasping this angle or open it up for more discussion.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems