View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #11
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Western Aikido

Quote:
Sean Orchard wrote:
I don't think that is very often the case.

For example, I know of one individual in the UK who regards himself a peer to a certain Japanese shihan because he's been training 'as long as he has'.

What he neglects to mention is that his training consists of a couple of hours 2 or 3 times a week, whereas the shihan in question trained for the best part of a decade as uchideshi to a couple of shihans before settling down to life as a full time professional aikido instructor, researching, practicing and teaching aikido on a full time basis ever since.

Obviously there are a few exceptions, but they are few indeed.
Well Sean, I think that it will always be the case that it comes down to the individual.

Nevertheless there are now throughout Europe and the States a band of 50 year plus aikidoka.

Some will have walked the walk, some will have talked the talk.

I have met and trained with some who have lived and breathed Aikido throughout these years, and personally do not have any issue accepting the status of some of them as equal to similarly ranked japanese Aikidoka.

In fact I do not even consider japaneseness in the equation - I either like what they do or teach or I don't.

I do find the converse situation interesting where high ranking 'new kids on the block' japanese instructors are in terms of mat longevity, outranked by western counterparts and wonder how they feel about accepting the westerners as seniors.

anyone ever seen this cause problems?

Regards

D