View Single Post
Old 08-07-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Choosing the right Aikido Dojo.

Absolutely agree with Mr Hackett. The article I posted above, the one link was to an article with information on how to verify a lineage and rank - but the most telling point for me was when the author pointed out to be a student of any martial art (or just about anything) means time invested with that particular room, with those particular people. Joining a dojo means that is where you hope to spend at least hours every week and closely, intimately interacting with the people inside for years and maybe decades; doing what they are doing for hours every week for years and maybe decades.

If you don't want to be there from the very beginning, if you feel uncomfortable just meeting the teacher, if you see their practice and say to yourself, "God, I never want to do that" - walk. You aren't ready to be there and you may never be. That's okay.

For the rank issues - I like what Peter Boylen had to say in his blog recently. Rank is given for political reasons, or for ability in the particular art, but never really for training as an educator.

Whether or not the person in front of the room can do or cannot do, or whatever their rank and allegiance, still not really a statement on if they can teach.

Definitely not a statement on whether or not you want to spend your free time and miss hanging out with friends or your family or children or partner or try to further your education or your career; or sacrifice other things you want your disposable income to go on - just so you can spend time with this instructor and this dojo.