View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
Sojourner
Australia
Re: Choosing the right Aikido Dojo.

In my state you cannot paint a house as a tradesperson if you are not qualified and registered with the master painters association. This is for the protection of the general public from people that are unskilled. The same goes for the Building industry as a whole along with various other trades. I have no issue at all with there being accountability from an Aikido organization for the people that represent it for exactly the same reason.

If someone wishes go out out and get an internet diploma for a set fee that means nothing and hang that on their dojo wall, prospective students have every right to be made well aware that is the case and that this so called qualification is actually fraudulent and should be treated as such. I have no problems of the same standards of recognition that exist in workplaces being maintained in a Dojo setting. There are more than just one parallel between doing a 4 year apprenticeship in a trade and earning a black belt in Aikido or any other recognised Martial Art.