Thread: Hasso no Kamae
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Hasso no Kamae

Quote:
Ethan Weisgard wrote: View Post
Thanks for the reply, Jun. I can understand the Katate Hachi no Ji Gaeshi term corresponding with the two strokes used in making the kanji for "hachi". But the position Hassou doen't really fit in with anything, as far as I can see. I am trying a Japanese language Google search, but have only as of yet found technical descriptions of Hassou no Kamae.
I hope someone can uncover the connection!
It may just be the functional description of the eight aspects (directions) [八相] in which one may immediately strike from this position. I was taught that in the happo-giri 八方 切り( eight sides) the transition through the center point of each successive strike is always passing through hassō-gamae 八相構え, which was meant to convey, as I learned it, that the cuts may be performed in any direction at need. This "aspect" [ ] becomes particularly apparent in some of the more fluid variants of this exercise.

You could stretch for the Buddhist connection along this line of thought. 八相 hassō is the Eight Aspects (= [sort of] "eight sides") of the manifestation of buddhahood, but that is merely the realization in his life of the principles of the Noble Eight-fold Path to enlightenment [ 八正道 ] hasshōdō

八正道 is symbolized by the eight-spoked dharma wheel. The turning of the dharmachakra is the seventh of the Buddha's aspects, just before attaining to nirvana. Thus, reference may mean the penultimate action or position just prior to victory). The wheel may be the image or association intended for the hassō-gamae.

Or it just may be a functional description of it with happy coincidence to the Buddhist imagery. Or just possibly, a word game or pun on hassō 八相 in the religious sense.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.