View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Aikido Isn't Bullshit

Ewen,

Quote:
with all due respect, I don't think I agree with this statement. O'Sensei wasn't just a great martial artist; he was an apologist or missionary to some respect in the power of Budo and his Aikido in particular to help bring peace to the world. Now Aikido isn't a religion but it does have similar values and goals. To develop character, morality, temperance, forgiveness and peace. Budo is a lifestyle. Aikido therefore sees itself as a positive force or influence within the world. If someone chooses to make Aikido their 'hobby' or integrate it into their lifestyle, even allowing it to redefine their lifestyle then they believe it has worth. Why omit or deny such a positive influence Especially if you are passionate and ethusiastic, it is incredibly hard to conceal as it becomes a part of you.
I think it should be such a part of you that it is ubiquitous in nature. that is, it goes without saying or thought. you simply are what you are and do what you do without concern for it or what others think or see with respect to your practices, values, habits.

To wear it on your sleeve or proselytize to me shows a lack of evolvement and immaturity in ones own development.