Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #37
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Does size matter...

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Hi Don
All due respect I dissagree.
I play with power lifters who are much stronger then me in lifting. Yet I can push them over and lift them off the ground when tossing them when they shove me. They can't do the same to me I stop them.
So, if we are a couple of MA'ers talking shop- I'd say that kind of power has merit in what "we" do. And you can't get it from lifting or sport training.
There are teachers in the CMA who are quite amazing at power generation. I trained with a guy who was 70 who was little and felt like getting hit by a truck. I'd say that was useful. As I mentioned I train and lift with guys in their seventies. There is no way, NO WAY, they can generate that kind of power.
In the fullness of time its having fun and being the best we can be. It also means I get to play with younger men and women, have fun in the sand box and keep learning.
Cheers
Dan
I don't think it's a matter of agree of disagree. I simply don't believe it. The reasoning is I have personally not met any CMA guys who can do what you are talking about. My aikido instructor can but he is also a lot larger then I am. When I encounter someone who has these skills then I will believe, but without evidence, I can not believe. That said proper technique in sparing does improve the efficient use of the strength you have. I have seen proof in proper body mechanics I have learned in bjj, judo, boxing, and aikido. But because I have not met anyone who can prevent me from throwing them with internal strength, I have to discount it as not very useful to spend my time attempting to study. I can't deny there are people out there doing stuff I can not do or do not yet understand. But they do not live in my area.

I guess I'm just saying I'd rather spend my time productively building good technique and hard sparing, then hunting down the ever illusive guy with real internal strength. And then get him to teach it to me knowing I'm going to go use it to win tournaments.

Last edited by DonMagee : 01-29-2007 at 09:00 AM.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein