View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #48
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Onegaishimasu

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Well, if you'd just post where you live, I'll make sure to stay away from that area. (Just to be clear, this sentence is meant in jest.)

I find that where I am now (WV), there's a good bit of politeness and courtesy. So, no, I guess i haven't noticed. Let me give you some examples.

If there's construction or an accident where one lane of two is closed, we all get into that one lane about 1-2 miles before it closes. The only people you see rushing up to the closure point and trying to horn in are out-of-state people.

People here will come to a dead stop on a road, no matter who's behind them, and let someone on a side road out.

We wave at strangers. Strangers will say hello to you.

If someone bumps into your cart at WalMart, they'll say excuse me.

When a traffic light goes green, no one blows their horn (If they do, they're from out of state). That light will turn red again and still no one will blow their horn. Instead, people will get out and check on the person in the lead vehicle to make sure they are okay.

You'll see people hold the door open for other people (and not just for women).

Course, we get called all sorts of names like redneck, hillbilly, and backwoods hick. But, really, they're just words and I wouldn't trade the civility, courtesy, and politeness here just to move to a place where I'd get called progressive, intelligent, or liberal and yet find a great lack of civility, courtesy, and politeness.

But that's me.

Mark
Dear Mark, No one calls me progressive, liberal and intelligent and gets away with it.

I'm with Tarik, the rude people around here aren't the locals; and the locals, like myself, are considered hillbillies, rednecks, dumb, slow, etc.
Don't let national stereotypes sway you either. The locals are just as happy and civil on the left coast as they are anywhere. Now, get outta my way, I got granola to purchase.
[b]
Please check out the thread for 'breathing life into the curriculum'. It is a video expose' of the program I'm running in the schools here.

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 03-28-2007 at 08:59 AM.