Thread: Do it fast?????
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2000, 09:42 PM   #15
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Speedy Aikido

Quote:
Erik wrote:

Lastly, has anyone ever really studied the idea of speed then quality? Or, do we just assume it? I guess the more general point here (because I believe in certain fundamentals as well) is that the author presented something completely counter to normal thinking. He's a smart guy, very smart. I'm willing to consider the possibility that he's right or that there is something to take from what he's saying. So are we discounting him because we've carefully evaluated the idea or because it challenges basic conceptions and historical norms about what we do?

[Edited by Erik on December 21, 2000 at 03:21pm]
I had an opportunity to attend part of a 3 day Yoshinkan seminar. During the evening I was there, we went through a drill doing quick, repetitive shihonage. I don't know how long it lasted, but it seemed endless. Luckly, I had the best partner I've worked with in an inpromptu situation like that.

Honestly, I can't say if massive repetition helps in learning a technique. I knew how to do shihonage reasonably well before I started that exercise. The only thing is that when you do repetitive technique, your technique usually gets sloppy after fatigue sets in. Another thing (perhaps this is what they were trying to promote) is that you have to rely more on your body's instinctive moves, rather than try and do/move everything according to some plan.

On the downside, you really need more "healing" time than an average class. The physical abuse itself, might put some people off.

Perhaps on a physical level, the feedback from the technique is better, but on a conscious level, it is almost non-existant.

For myself, speed is a component of ma-ai (distance) rather than physical quickness. Since the ability to relax enhances your awareness and ma-ai, speed begins to be affected by your own state of mind.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You