View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #43
lbb
United_States
Re: Which Martial Art for Kids - Aikido / Taekwondo / Karate / Judo ...

Quote:
Andreas Huysman wrote: View Post
Me neither :/
I have no idea how I'l handle them Saturday, when I have to teach them.
Do you give aikido lessons Mary? To kids?
No. I teach when I have to (i.e., senseis can't be there), but otherwise I don't teach.

I used to be a ski instructor, for children aged 4 to 6. I have a lot of experience and also formal coaching training from that. On this forum, we often see people who are new to teaching ask for tips. These are helpful, but limited, because you simply can't communicate the knowledge of an experienced teacher as a series of tips. As general advice, I think I would say that the best classes are created by "listening" rather than by "talking". What I mean by that, is that often novice teachers create their lesson plan -- and it can be a great lesson plan -- and then stubbornly teach that lesson, no matter what. Maybe the students aren't ready for that particular lesson, or maybe today's not the right day for it. Maybe they're not ready to learn it the way your plan is teaching it. It's always good to have some idea of what you want to teach...but you have to be ready to abandon it instantly if it turns out to not be the best lesson to teach today. It's the difference between writing a prepared speech and standing up and delivering it, and having a conversation. There's nothing wrong with giving a speech or a lecture, but if your success is measured by the response you get, there needs to be some "conversational" element.

Here are a few questions for you, Andreas. You're teaching these kids on Saturday -- what do YOU think they need to work on? Don't make a big list, just ask yourself: if there was ONE fairly small thing that you could get these kids to improve, what would it be? Is this something that all the kids need to work on, or just some? Are they at different levels?