View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #137
CSFurious
United_States
Re: Mixing Aikido with other martial arts

Jose,

i agree with everything you say

however, the problem with modern Aikido in my experience is that it is often the beginner course for many Aikido students, &, therefore, they do not understand what an actual fight is like with a non-compliant opponent

i would even submit that it is easier to teach and make money from Aikido by making it softer

let's be honest, most people are not going to pay money to get hurt which is what happens when you train in a certain way; i submit that while you can suffer injuries in Aikido schools that all of the major martial arts injuries that i have suffered happened to me when i was not studying Aikido (is that just bad luck or indicative of something else?)

most people have neither the desire nor the need to train like samurai, and thus we are left with a modern martial art where the student must actually look elsewhere for the actual foundation of their training

also, to people who disagree, it is a fact that the original students of O'Sensei all had significant martial arts experience before they trained in Aikido (if that does not tell you that experience in Aikido alone is not sufficient, i do not know what will)

Quote:
Jose Ponce wrote: View Post
Aikido in it self is a true martial art, However true, Aikido is a combination of five major martial arts namely; Classic Aikijujutsu, Judo, Kendo, Art of Samurai and Spear Fighting. Their very best techniques combined together to form the art of Aikido. A well studied martial art of purely self defense, If there is no offense there is no defense. Virtually unlimited techniques, It is not an offensive form of martial art. Its' movements are graceful and harmonize with the force of the opponent, it utilizes the strength and momentum of an aggressor to be used against his own intention.

Mixing Aikido with other martial arts to my opinion is not desirable! because, mixing would defeat many principles of Aikido. May become offensive and destructive.

Aikido should be the finisher course of all martial arts! Since Aikido polishes the movements and techniques of ones' skill and need not be strong to apply the skill of Aikido.