View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #30
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: YouTube: Aikido v MMA

Let's see. Where do I begin?

This, I feel, is an extremely important discussion for aikidoists to have, and one I have commented on in the past. There are two overlapping issues that really should be isolated to avoid confusion.

One is the issue of training methods. The other is the function of techniques.

For the most part, aikido has poor training methods, or at least incomplete training methods. This is of no concern if you are using aikido as a vehicle to experience harmonious interactions and as a spiritual practice, in fact, I would say that "traditional" aikido is well suited to that end. However, if you are interested in developing martial skills, then you must add another aspect to your training. Specifically, you must train against resistance. You cannot claim to have any significant amount of skill in applying your art if you only train with cooperative partners. As far as training methods go, there is much we can learn from MMA.

That is only one half of the equation. At least as important is understanding the context within which the techniques that we recognize as being "aikido" were designed to function. One-on-one empty-hand fighting seldom presents the opportunity or the need, in many cases, to use aikido's techniques. The reason for this is that they were designed to work with the use of weapons. Reason, experience, and historical evidence all bear this out. If you don't come to this understanding you will simply be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Conversely, the much heralded MMA techniques will literally get you killed if that is how you intend to fight an armed opponent. Further, this is not the set of techniques someone who is primarily interested in utilizing a weapon wants to know.

Having said all that, I do commend the one-armed man. He isn't letting his handicap slow him down.

On a side note, this thread reminded me of how much I like Bas Rutten and how much I dislike Jason Delucia.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki