View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #92
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Making Kote Gaeshi Work - With Resistance

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
Chris, in your seond video, second 42, "I come in really low and I rise like cookie doug"??? What did you say?

Rob
I called the technique Uke Goshi.
In basic judo Uke Goshi (Kano's favorite technique) is done as if you are "stabbing uke's hips with a ice pick that is attached to yours. This creates the kuzushi.

But over time, I learned to apply Kano's sixth kata to the technique. This kata tends not to be studied that closely except in the higher ranks of judoka (IMO). It is the "wave principle" that acts like a "cam". Now my wave principle motion was refined by study of Yanagi Hara Ryu.

I barely pry up the uke (the refrigerator) any more. I just lift it 1/4 inch and then use the corner of the refrigerator as a pivot point with my whole body (structure) pushing from behind.

When a guy hides his COG, you still gotta get behind it to use the best mechanical advantage. You just cannot move a refrigerator with finesse with out (1) closeness of centers and (2) a caming motion.

I do the technique through the natural connection made by uke's retreating arm (and my hold upon the arm) rather than holding Gi lapels as in judo.

It is actually quite soft and surprising to uke when you do it with a small circle.