View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Is it really about the journey?

The way I see it, you have two choices when it comes to learning Aikido,,,

One is to surround yourself with great teachers and mentors who have spent time with the greats, even O-Sensei if you are lucky enough to find someone still around that did. You then listen, look, and learn all you possibly can from them, to assist you in your personal Aikido journey and evolution of self. But, whatever you learn and hear from these mentors, you must then use that knowledge to assist you in the journey that you yourself must take in order to gain personal hands-on experience, knowledge and understanding. For this is the most valuable asset that you can ever gain. You yourself must do the hard yards, take the journey yourself, or you are just a tape recorder repeating a story that was told to you by a person of note.

The other option is far easier, and in many cases, far more rewarding and self-satisfying.
You can join an organisation, be very compliant, amiable, never question or challenge, and be totally non-confronting. You can then spend many years doing the same techniques day in and day out, not changing one bit through time, and you will still easily rise through the ranks.

The choice is yours...

If, as they say "It is all about the journey", then I will take the hard road every-time, for there is more to learn and gain from that than an easy ride through life.

Bugger wish I had found this article sooner, cause I've taken the hard road...