View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 08:59 AM   #36
cbrf4zr2
Currently I'm trying to not think about what I am doing. My first Kyu test has been put on hold for about a year due to a couple of things, so in essence I've been prepping for Shodan for about a year. The first Kyu test (in my opinion) is just a formality at this point. My biggest problem that I have and I want to elimninate is not thinking about what I am going to do in randori or jiyu waza. When I'm attacked, I don't want to think "OK, I'm going to do kotagaeshi this time," or "I'll to koshinage this time." I want to be able to just let everything happen. Although I think most of that is because I'm required to show a specified number of techniques for a certain attack, and I need to know what I'm doing do I don't just perform 18 variations of sankyo every time

In the past 4 months, I've been given the responsibility of teaching my own class, which had made me see a lot of things I never saw while just doing technique. Now I am also focusing on picking up the nuances of certain techiniques while watching the lower ranks. An angle change here, rotate the hips a little more there, hit uke with a baseball bat as atemi. You know, those subtle things

So right now my focus is to learn everything so I don't have to think about it or remember it - and it just happens.

...then again, that's just me.