View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Yamazaru
Dojo: Florida Aikikai
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Quote:
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote: View Post
1. I do not think---at this stage---that misogi were or are the first stage of penetrating to the heart of aikido. I think that they are too indirect and can only deliver real results once the first stage has been passed. I think this has become clear from past posts that some people have developed very rapidly using misogi practice once they had broken through a certain barrier. I think that barrier is a purely physical one (regardless of what mental development might also be associated with the practice of aikido and misogi).
Gernot, I really agree with this. Years ago I was shown the usual misogi set including some cutting motions ("otakebi"? IIRC) and tried to train it diligently...but I realize now, from discovering some of the body paths etc via Aunkai and Roppokai training, that I had only the vaguest idea of what the misogi were supposed to be burning in....so it was of very little benefit to me at the time despite doing thousands of reps. Approaching the same movements now, even with my limited understanding makes them seem much richer in terms of internal training.

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post

Shark tournament this weekend. Wish me luck !

Howard
Howard, please just resist the tempation to haul anything large up into the boat without SHOOTING it first, like the famous Mako incident..I don't know if aiki-age would work well enough to save you against "Jaws" ...Good luck!!

Rob MacPherson