View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 11:57 AM   #86
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
I didn't lose my faith in aikido, but between u and me aren't they have right in some thoughts???

Is aikido useful and effective in real situation and against other martial arts?
Why can't you decide for yourself if aikido is effective? Do you need other people to confirm your beliefs for you? Ask yourself these questions.

1) Why am I training in martial arts?
2) Why did I choose my current martial art?
3) What do I expect to get out of my current martial art?
4) What am I getting (or what do I feel I'm getting) out of my current martial art?

Be honest with yourself. Are your results and reasons matching up? If they don't, or you are unsure then ask yourself these questions.

1) Have I voiced my concerns to my instructor?
2) What changes do I feel would fix the problems I perceive in my training?
3) Have I explored other styles/arts and seen if what they are doing is matching with what I believe is missing from my training?
4) If I am unsure, what do I need to do to prove to myself I am getting what I want out of my training?

Again, be honest. If you can't tell your instructor then you really need to concern yourself with why you can't talk freely about your wants/desires/beliefs. If you honestly don't know, then don't be afraid to admit that to yourself either. Maybe you need to go exploring, its ok, aikido will be there for you when you get back.

My personal opinion is that if you want to be good at fighting, aikido is probably not the martial art for you. Its training methods do not lend themselves to learning how to fight. But I'm also not sure that is the point of aikido. I believe that in order to learn how to fight, you have to fight. And fight a lot. Arts like boxing, judo, bjj, mauy thai, etc lend themselves to this. Arts like ninjitsu, aikido, Japanese jiujitsu etc, don't seem to lend themselves to the training you need to learn how to fight. Its more of a personal growth thing. Sure there are martial techniques, and you might very well become a bad ass fighter. But I don't think that is a common occurrence.

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
Hi every 1

"Aikido doesn't require fitness so most aikido players are old, fat and not strong enough"
Is it aikido that makes them fat and weak, or is it the lack of respect they have for their bodies? People are fat and weak because they choose not to take care of themselves (or are unable to with growing age, or injury). Sure you cant' expect a 70 year old man to bench 300 pounds and run 10 miles a day. But that doesn't' matter if he is a Judo master, or a aikido shihan. Fat people are just fat people, I'm sure a lot of them are drawn to arts that require them to do as little physical work as possible. And some aikido caters to this.

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
" you can not attack in aikido you just receiving and waiting what the attackers will do"
Is your purpose to be a fighter, this should be plenty fine if you only have to defend yourself.

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
" many aikido techniques depend on grabbing which is rarely happen in real fights"
I hope to god the judo guy didn't say this to you. That would indeed be funny.

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
"aikido is a philosophy more than a combat way"
And what is wrong with this?

As an aside. Someone in this thread said these things

"You're training for competition in which there are rules, so you are actually training not to use full force or power when punching and kicking. I hope this doesn't come back to hurt you in a fight when you 'punch' someone and give them a little tap for the 'point'.

I train in something where there is very little competition because it is too dangerous not to know what your opponent is doing...after all, if we killed all our training partners then where would we be?"

I feel these are cop-out responses just as bad as the things he was told (But maybe that was your point). Are you saying Judo guys don't train and spar full force? When I throw you in competition I'm attempting to throw you so hard you cant' get back up. When I punch you, I'm punching you. Sure thats not true of most karate or TKD. But don't think its all tip tap point sparing. A lot of martial arts train full force, very little in unarmed combat is 'too deadly'.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein