View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #312
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
If no one practiced Aikido, it'd still be Aikido, still be as sound and effective as the day it was born. In fact, without 'practitioners' to devolve it, it might just evolve on it's own.
You think it can evolve on its own...without people? How could it possibly do that?

Quote:
I disagree with your use of the term revolution- imo, it only means 3 things: ... 3.) a sudden, radical, or complete change. I just don't see Aikido doing any of the above( well maybe alittle spinning and orbiting) and if it's doing something else, maybe that's another term.
I appologize if I'm being pedantic, but I think "sudden change" is a very relative phrase (and thus open to some interpretation).

Quote:
I disagree that Aikido is a product of Nature, per se. Imo, it's a product of a man who studied Nature, so it not perfect and has room for improvement ( evolving).
I don't subscribe to the notion that "improvement" is a necessary componant of evolution:
"any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane," (Dicitonary.com).
My view is that evolution essentially denotes change, and whether or not you can say something is an improvement depends largely upon interpretation and context.

Gambarimashyo!